Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

SONIA GOT BAPTIZED - JULY 4, 2016

Baptism de Sonia
Well hello to all of my faithful followers and Happy 4th of July! I definitely am rocking a USA Flag pattered tie today so even though I live in Mexico I still know USA is the best!
Anyways, right after I logged off the computer last week I got a call that we had to do emergency divisions in an area so we went and I spent the day there Tuesday and to sum it up it wasn't the favorite thing I have ever had to do. I had to go there to search the bags and stuff of someone that wasn't being the most obedient missionary around. I wont add more, just lets just say it is part of the ZL life but I don't really enjoy searching bags! But the point of my letter has nothing to do with that so let me actually get to the point haha.

On Wednesday we had a multi-zone conference with the new mission president and his wife, President and Sister Ruiz! My new mission president is so awesome. He is the translator for all of the apostles when they come to Mexico so he literally knows perfect English. He is 56 years old and studied at BYU and his youngest daughter is living here with them. He seriously is going to change the mission for the better, he is filled with so much love and I am so excited to see what he does for the mission!

On Thursday my companion got me sick with a cold so I officially got the first cold/sore throat/cough i have had in the mission and let me tell you it is super hard to work it the beating sun with all that going on but we worked super hard and I am still getting through this small sickness but the thing I have learned is the best way to feel better is to WORK!

So on Friday we had a leadership conference with President Ruiz and the assistants and all of the zone leaders. It was a super awesome conference and I am excited to give a zone conference to my zone tomorrow about it. A couple of things about President Ruiz. He hasn't changed any rules yet haha but he looks like he is going to be way more involved in our lives. He wants to work with us in our areas and talked to us about how goals aren't just a fad or phase, we need to always keep going with our goals! Also he said every single missionary needs to learn English and he gave like half the conference in English which is super awesome haha. Something I love that he said is we need to love our missionaries (who we are leaders over) with Christlike love and high expectations. This really is something I try to apply, loving them so much but expecting the best and nothing but the best.

So.... ON SATURDAY SONIA GOT BAPTIZED! I had the wonderful opportunity to baptize her and wow was it the coolest thing ever. With every baptism it has its difficulties behind the scenes. We got there and the baptismal font was super dirty so we had to clean it fast and then it was supposed to start at 5pm and literally when 5pm rolled around not even one person was at the church. Now you guys knowing me, i was super nervous. But being in Mexico almost a year now i have learned in the culture they all show up just like a half an hour late. So my patience has improved but my nervousness is still there haha. The baptism was a total success and as I baptized her the spirit just filled my heart. She shared her small but powerful testimony after and it was amazing. My companion then confirmed her on Sunday and I participated in that also. I have seen such a change in her and honestly she is a future missionary, I felt it the day I met her.



Happy Birthday Sonia





Something I learned this week. Happiness isn't a life without burdens, happiness is a life WITH burdens. I want each of you to think about that and apply it to your own life. Honestly happiness is a choice, not just a feeling. I love you all so much and I know the Lord loves you even more! 

Happy 4th of July and May God Bless America!



Elder Plowman
Elder Martinez' first package of his mission!

Elder Martinez getting a package from my mom



No comments:

Post a Comment