Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Thursday, June 1, 2017

DISTRICT CONFERENCE - MAY 29, 2017

Angel who will be baptized on Saturday

Hello there everyone from the hot, humid, and sunny Yucatan peninsula! This week was really great and honestly I am feeling really happy about the work we could get done this week. Honestly, the first week training I was super stressed and worried about this transfer, but I realized that I was lacking faith. Starting the 2nd week of the transfer I had a great talk with my companion about his progress and how he is feeling and it was one of the greatest talks I have had with a companion in a long time. My companion, Elder Alvizures, has so many desires to be here.! He told me that his first week here, he almost died because of the heat, and he missed his family a lot. I couldn't help but feel so much love for him and empathize his feelings because I remember how hard it was when I got here. I told him that the mission never gets easier, but it does get better! This week it was like I had a whole new companion with me! He laughed, smiled, and talked all the time! It even got to the point where he was just talking and talking and I loved it. He really likes to talk about Guatemala and I have learned a lot about his home country. Last week he told me thank you for always helping him and wanting him to become the best missionary he can be. He explained to me that it means a lot to him that I care for him and recognize when he is down a bit. It was the most amazing thing to hear because sometimes as a trainer you don't really know if you are helping or not. The whole point of what I am saying is that I have a huge love for my companion and I think the most amazing thing ever is seeing how much he grows from day to day :) I love it!! 

This week we were being lead by the Spirit in every moment and I love it so much! We found a ton of new investigators just by following the Spirit. A few of their names are Miriam, Ana Maria, Yanet and so on. When we found Ana Maria, we found out her husband died about 1 month ago. Such a sad story, but I think one of the hardest things in the mission is to see someone crying and just sit there listening to them, wanting to help them so bad. But no matter what problems someone has, the Gospel is the best thing for them. We are just trying to find a way to help these people go to church. This week Yessica and Angel went to church. But there are so many more investigators that said they would go and didn't go!! It is always the most heartbreaking thing hahaha. But it is always super interesting to see how people trust us with everything. Someone we just met, who all of a sudden starts telling us their life story and all their problems. It was something that really surprised my companion but he told me it made him realize how great his calling is as a missionary. 

I think one of the things that helped this week be super awesome is that every day in every house it seemed like, people were giving us food. That made my comp and I super happy :) In every house someone gave us chamigomas (snowcone with gummy bears), salbutes (pic below), mango's, more fruits, cake, water, juices, sandwiches, icecream, anything you can think of! Honestly it was the most food we had been given in a really long time and it was awesome to see the smile on my companions face every time. I also love being able to teach him the names of all the food etc.
Salbutes

chamigomas


This week we had something called District Conference, where the whole district Calkini came Saturday and Sunday to Calkini. 5 branches named Coahuila, Maxcanu, Hecelchakan, Calkini, and Halacho came and we had a special conference with Pdt Ruiz and others. It was filled with a lot of people and great to see. Yessica and Angel came with their mom and grandparents. Honestly this family has changed so much since I got here. Yessica and Angel will be baptized this Saturday!!! Woohoo!!! Success!! We are preparing everything so that it can be a great and we can have a great baptismal service. I can't wait for my companion to have his first baptism! I love being able to train because i feel like I can truly share everything with my companion that I have learned in my mission and just help him to not make the same mistakes as me, or not have the same fears i used to have, and to teach better every single day. But definitely the most important thing I can teach him is how to baptize a person! I hope that we can pull it off this Saturday. I hope you guys all have a great week and a great Memorial Day!

Elder Plowman 

No comments:

Post a Comment