This week was an absolutely crazy week. I don't even know where to begin. This was the hardest week yet physically and emotionally, but the best week yet spiritually. Through humility I have learned so much this week, and I have learned so much about the way Satan can work against me here... through my thoughts. I have so much to say, but let me tell a quick story.
So on Saturday, Elder Meza y yo were riding our bikes to Chunchucmil through the jungle, and literally about half way there, my tire popped completely. COMPLETELY!! So, this was honestly my breaking point. Through everything I had gone through in my mission, this was the worst I had felt in my life. I had so many thoughts hit me as I was spending 10 minutes trying to pump the tire with air but with no luck. Why am I even here? What do I even offer to this place? The work is way better without me... I mean we have three people in Chunchucmil who need to be taught but we cant because of ME!! Well my companion didn't hear my tire pop or me yell for him so about 10 minutes later he comes back asking what happened... with a story of his own. When he was riding his bike, about a 6 foot rattlesnake tried to bite him and he got the WORST feeling that if I was behind him it was going to bite me. Well when he slammed his brakes to yell at me to stop... I wasn't there. He started to freak out. Well turns out we are both okay, but we learned so many lessons through this. Maybe the way the Lord was looking out for us was by my tire breaking in order to keep me safe from the snake. Now there is no way of knowing this, but it certainly could be true. As we took an hour walk back in the worst heat ever, and I felt terrible and the most humble of my whole life, I truly was humbled by this story. Elder Meza and I were in the middle of nowhere, broken bike, walking 1 hour through this jungle, but we knew this was exactly where I was supposed to be. I used my strength through prayer from God to change my thoughts and used this as a spring board to more happiness. Lets just say the next 5 hours that night were the best of my mission in ever lesson. More to come on that one. But I find no more happiness than when I am doing the Will of God. This is His Will, and I will continue to do this always. And Mom... don't freak out... we got a new tire and it is okay!! I am safe!! Haha, but seriously, the craziest story yet.
I have been a little frustrated this week because we work so hard, but our efforts don't always show in our numbers.... because so many of our lessons are with members, and no body gives us references, and simply a lack of people. But I learned that a lot of times what matters isn't the NUMBERS it is the EFFORT! We try our hardest daily, and yes we actually have investigators now!! PROGRESSING!!
Thaily - This is a really happy and sad story. She is a 13 year old girl, she went to the temple with us last week (outside), comes to church, reads the Book of Mormon, and this past week she COMMITTED TO BAPTISM!! NOVEMBER 14TH!! The next day.... her parents wont let her. We are praying so hard for her parents to be humbled, it is sad really.
Felipe y Angelica - This family is amazing. Literally amazing. They have been married for 11 years, and have 2 little kids. They are so happy and are so interested. We taught them the plan of salvation on Saturday, but right when I was about to extend baptism invitation... their kid freaks out and the husband leaves for five minutes. When he came back the feeling wasn't right, but he invited us back for dinner that night, and we ate there and just got to know them. Tuesday we have a return appointment! We feel really good about this.
Roldolfy y Carmita- This is the best experience of my mission... maybe. They have 4 kids, and have been together for about 13 years but aren't married. They are ready for baptism and have been for like 10 sets of missionaries, but wont get married. This is my first time teaching them, and teaching marriage, and the whole time was difficult because Roldolfy wont do it. We finally got Carmita to say Yes I want marriage and baptism. The whole time, Roldolfy says no, and he has too many doubts. Finally I asked him this, what is more important to you, the happiness of Carmita and your family, or your small doubts? He said yes!! They have a commitment to prepare for marriage and baptism November 27th (I think) and here is a picture of us below with a little paper we made for proof with their signatures and put it on their door!! This was my best experience yet, and lets just say this was a few hours after the Saturday bike experience. SO the next day they show up to church with their new baby and say they want us to bless their baby!! So we literally blessed their baby, the first time I have ever done this. And elder Meza says that she will serve a mission... they aren't even members yet!! I was so happy. Wow. What an experience.
Okay so experiences of life.
If you guys saw how sad the dogs are here. You would be sad. I miss my dog, and his birthday is this week!! But anyways, the dogs are so sad :(
No one showed up to seminary this week except my favorite person here.. this guy named Edgar who was baptized the day before I got here. He wants to serve a mission already!! We have grown really close with him. But I just want people to actually come to seminary.... finding a way. Also more people come about 10 minutes before we have to leave, so then we cant teach... rough.
We had a rat in the house... it ate through our bread.
I literally miss mexican food. This isn't mexican food. It is noodles with a chicken leg every single time.
Everyone works in Merida in the day or through the whole week so a lot of times no one is around and it is sad... but always staying busy!! It is just rough because we can only teach the investigators like once a week.
I cant even express how hot this place is. I sweat through my clothes every single time.
On Wednesday we traveled via bike to both Chunchucmil and San Rafael, about 2.5 hours on the bike. IT WAS DIFFICULT. I am definitely getting more in shape.
The Elders Quorum President is inactive, if that tells you anything about our branch.
I ate three dinners Saturday, never been so full. The members we were going to eat with told us they couldn't feed us so we eat in our house and 2 hours later they find us and say we can eat there... so we eat. And then the food with Angelica and Felipe!! 3 DINNERS!! FAT!!
We saw our first fight, the whole entire town of Coahuila was there, and we just awkwardly sat there trying to act normal.
Yesterday was the hour time change, so right now is the same time as Utah which is weird if you look geographically. But anyways, we did not know about this time change... we show up at the church an hour early like normal... 9am rolls around and no one is there. We literally cried, why is this branch so sad today!? Turns out, hour time change... usually best day ever for extra hour of sleep, but this time it was extra hour of work!! All is well.
I love you all! I love this work!
Ether 12:27 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them theiraweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men thatdhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.
| THE SWEAT NEVER ENDS...I SWEAT THROUGH MY AGENDA, SOAKING WET EVERY DAY ALL DAY |
Some Tidbits:
1. Went to Merida today to pick up package we sent him...yes, it got there. Took 3 hours today
2. On a positive note, he will be an expert tire repair Dad when he is older and he will be really good at fixing boating tubes, which is needed.
3. His companion doesn't seem to sweat and stays dry, which is really annoying.
1. Went to Merida today to pick up package we sent him...yes, it got there. Took 3 hours today
2. On a positive note, he will be an expert tire repair Dad when he is older and he will be really good at fixing boating tubes, which is needed.
3. His companion doesn't seem to sweat and stays dry, which is really annoying.




What a faith building experience! We pray for him daily.
ReplyDelete