Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Monday, May 8, 2017

TEMPLE AND A BAPTISM - MAY 1, 2017

Merida Mexico Temple
Hello everyone! I think I can easily say that this week was one of, if not the most, rewarding weeks of my mission for so many reasons. I think the subject line says it all but I am going to tell you guys about my week!

On Tuesday we had a district meeting like always and it went well. We have been trying think "out of the box" and have been doing a ton of things with permission of president. This past Tuesday after the district meeting all of us worked here in Calkini for a few hours looking for new investigators. We are going to do this in every area in the district. So we had lots of success by doing so because honestly just by finding one person it is all worth it. We found a kid named Brayan who is 16 years old. He just came back from living in Merida the past year and has a lot of questions about God because his mom died 6 years ago and he is living with his grandparents right now. Honestly seeing how every person I have met handles their problems in a different way has been a really beautiful thing in my time here in Mexico. He really needs the gospel in his life and the Lord has prepared him.

This week was filled with baptismal interviews, which are something that I always love to do. I went to Halachó on Tuesday night to interview a man named William and then i went to Maxcanu on Wednesday to interview 2 teenagers. Interviewing is amazing because I have the chance to literally look through the eyes of someone and see their soul and see how much they have repented to be able to make the decision to be baptized. This week as a district Calkini we baptized 4 people which is a miracle because literally for a year the whole district had only baptized like 5 people and it was known as the hardest part of the mission in terms of success and to see that the whole district is having success is super great!!

Jonas and Gloria

On Thursday we had the chance to go to Merida to go to the temple with Gloria and Jonas. Lets just say something I have learned in the mission is how there is truly opposition in ALL things. On Thursday I was super bugged by how hot it was haha honestly I was dying because we had to walk to the center of town with our bags to sleep in Merida that night and it was the hottest I had felt in forever and then we got in the van to go to Merida and the air conditioning didn't work and then the tire was popped and I just realized how Satan really wanted to get to us in our minds to make the temple experience not as awesome as it was going to be. So I decided to stop murmuring and also the point of me saying all this is that when something super amazing will happen in your life, just be ready for the trials and the hard times, and know that it will make everything worth it. For example, having to suffer so much heat in the day made me appreciate so much more the super cold air conditioning in the temple that night :) Anyway we got to the temple at 6pm and honestly it is the most amazing place in the world. We got to help be witnesses in sealings as we waited to enter the session at 7:30pm. Everything that happens in the temple is so sacred and what I want to testify is that the Lord knows each and every one of us. It was the most rewarding thing in the world to see someone that I helped enter the waters of baptism enter the temple and see her in white again. Every single person i have baptized I want to see in white two times, not just once. That is the main goal.

We then woke up on Friday morning and went to Gloria and Jonas´ sealing and their wedding. What an amazing experience it was to put my signature testifying that they made a covenant with God that day. I know that families can be together forever. Jonas is one of my best friends i have made in this mission and has been a great example to me! 

Soooo on Saturday we had another baptism 😊 Jose was baptized!!! He is Gloria´s nephew! So this week was all happiness with that family. I remember the day that I contacted José for the first time. I showed up at his house and he let us talk to him right away and he is a very shy person so I could never really tell what he was feeling at first but as i got to know him I could really tell that he was applying everything we were teaching him. I was praying that he would choose my companion to baptize him, because honestly at this point in the mission it is more rewarding seeing my companion or someone else baptize than doing it myself. And my prayers were answered as my companion had the chance to baptize José. José comes from a really tough family situation and has had struggles in his life due to his mom and dad but he has truly found peace in this church and also has the support of his aunts and cousins that were baptized not too long ago, too. What a beautiful experience it was.
Jose Baptism

Well yesterday night at about 8pm was the first time I have gotten lost in Calkini. It was hilarious but it was also the craziest storm ever. There was a ton of lighting and we got soaking wet haha but it was just an amazing experience and one of those things that only happens in the mission. Anyway I hope all is well and I want to give a huge shout out to my mom who is turning 35 this week!!! You are the best!!
The official "going home" letter! 


Elder Plowman

No comments:

Post a Comment