| Hurricane Earl |
So this week my companion and I worked super hard and we saw so many miracles and results in our life and in the life of the members and the investigators here! This week was one of the fastest weeks of my mission, sometimes in just the blink of an eye it is Monday again and it is crazy to me! We worked super hard and hit a ton of goals. We really are becoming the type of missionaries the Lord needs us to be more and more every day.
So last Tuesday everyone here in Ticul started freaking out because they kept saying that a Cyclone was gonna come. So the mission was preparing and we had to do a whole bunch of precautions. We went and bought a ton of water and food in case we were stuck in the house for a few days. The Elders from Peto, the area furthest away from us, came to stay with us so they could be close and safe. We were planning everything... like when the cyclone was gonna hit we were gonna have to report every hour to the mission president if our zone was safe and everything. So then on Tuesday night they told us that it turned in to a hurricane! I was actually super excited and wanted it to hit so i could see the craziness and have a ton of service opportunities after wards. So Wednesday we were waiting all day for it to come and it never came... then we heard Wednesday night that the hurricane changed paths a little bit and was going to hit further south, but still was gonna effect us a little bit. So then Thursday was when it finally hit! It wasn't a crazy storm or anything (compared to how Texas can be sometimes...) but it was the most it has rained in my year here in Mexico! It was the first time I finally saw it worth it to use my rain jacket! So the whole day I was just completely soaked and had never felt my shoes so soaked in my life but it was all such an adventure. The sad part though was that at night i realized all my scriptures and books in my bag got wet :( I put a cover on it but it obviously didn't work too well... it was actually a super exciting day I will never forget in the mission! I definitely learned the importance of always planning ahead of time!
So Thursday and Friday I had to go to Merida too! I had to go renew my visa! So crazy I have almost been here in Mexico 1 year.... time flies. Then on Friday we went for a leadership conference! Down below is the Merida Squad as we called it, my 3 best friends from the MTC 1 year ago! All 4 of us are Zone Leaders now! Super great to be reunited again with them. I have learned so much about how to be a better leader. This leadership conference was focused more on our duty as zone leaders and what we can do better. I learned so much from it! The new mission president hasn't changed any new rules yet... one day haha. But I am excited to give my 4th zone conference tomorrow! Time flies!
| MTC Squad |
So the 2 people that went to church last week from Sacalum, Maria and Iliana, told us they loved church last week! They told us they had never gone to a different church before and tons of other churches had passed by before and they told us they don't know what we did differently but we got them go to to church all the way in Ticul! We told them that was the influence of the Holy Ghost.... we are the only church that has it :)
So on Saturday night we went to the church to clean it, which we usually clean alone or just with the branch president, but for the first time in my 3 months here we showed up and there were a ton of people in the church playing soccer and cleaning and mowing the lawn. It made me so happy. Honestly getting the people to hang out together and help us out has been a challenge in this branch, but it made me so happy to see :) We then mowed the lawn and a little kid named Ismael, who is going to get baptized this Saturday (!!!!!!!), got in a small fight with a kid like playing around, and i watched the whole thing and had to stop them from fighting, but after wards Ismael tells me... I punched him in the eye with the CTR ring you gave me!!!! I couldn't help but laugh and tell him the whole reason why I gave him the ring was so that he wouldn't do that!! But this Saturday we are super excited because we are planning on baptizing Carolina and Ismael!
Last night was a super crazy experience. We saw a guy that looked so sad and as we walked by him he goes, hey why don't you guys talk to me? We have to be careful with that question sometimes, because most of those people that say that really don't want to talk to us for good reasons, but we felt we needed to talk to him. He then told us his whole life story and took us to his house which turned out being literally just 2 trees. I was so humbled. The most poor people I have met here at least have a house with a roof, this guy has nothing, not even a small roof. He sleeps outside every night with his hammock between 2 trees. I just couldn't help but keep seeing him in white being baptized one day.
I am learning so much as a missionary and love this so much and know that God loves you with all His heart!
Elder Plowman
| Learning to make perfect pancakes |
No comments:
Post a Comment