| Rama Calkini |
| Elder Smith |
On Saturday we had a very very special experience. I am so happy to have been able to spend my last Saturday in the mission baptizing two people. My companion and I baptized Sauli and Grecia. I had the chance to baptize Grecia, and my companion baptized Sauli. It was a really great experience because we have been able to help their families be active again and there was a lot of support at their baptism. Sauli is 9 years old and Grecia is 8 but their testimonies are so strong. When I baptized Grecia it just hit me that it was the last time I will baptize as "Elder Plowman", at least as a single adult. Afterward Sauli came up to me, looked up at me in the eyes and said "Elder Plowman, I will never forget you." and it just hit me that this is really coming to an end.
| Sauli and Grecia |
| Grecia y momma |
On Sunday morning we had the opportunity to confirm Sauli and Grecia. Then they asked me to give my "farewell" talk. They asked me to speak for 30 minutes and I just took it all in. My last chance to give a talk in Spanish to the people that I love. What an opportunity it was. On Sunday night a member called and told us they needed help with something in the church and when we got there, turns out the members had planned a surprise going away party for me. I can´t tell you the love that I felt for these people. There were about 70 of my favorite people (pics below) and they asked me to share my feelings. I was looking around and realized that every single person that was there was special to me and I had had a special experience with every single one. I shared with every person what I love about them and then some people shared the same thoughts with me. I couldn´t help but cry. I love these people so much and in my two years here I have grown to love everyone, but the people of Calkiní have a very special place in my heart. Even a little girl that turns 8 this November asked me to come back and baptize her, since she knows I will come back to visit soon. I just love these people, and as I have lost myself in the service of others, I have truly been able to find what true joy is.
I have been compiling a list the last few weeks of things that I have learned in the mission, and I would like to share this list with you:
- To plan, both short term and long term
- To set goals; daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
- To think before I speak
- To have a personal relationship with God
- To pray sincerely
- To truly study the scriptures
- To speak Spanish
- To be (more) patient
- To see others the way God sees them
- To overcome my weaknesses through Jesus Christ´s atonement
- To understand that God´s plan for me is much greater than my own
- To trust in God
- To forget myself and go to work
- What true happiness is
- To see the positive in everything
- To let Jesus Christ carry me when I can´t go anymore
- To understand the promptings of the Holy Ghost
- To follow the Holy Ghost and trust in Him
- How to be humble enough to want to do God´s Will
- To truly pray for my family
- To say prayers that focus on others, and not myself
- I have a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true
- I have a love for the words of the living prophets
- How to talk with people, especially with complete strangers
- To keep a journal every day
- To be a good leader and a good follower
- To receive criticism without being offended
- Miracles happen AFTER doing all we can do and having faith
- To love the 12 different companions that are each different in their own way
- The commandments are the way to be happy (Mosiah 2:41)
- To appreciate the small things in life
- To pray for my enemies
- A better work ethic
- To receive answers to my prayers
- How to give better talks and classes in church
- How to be obedient even when I don´t understand exactly the reason why
- To trust in the power of the priesthood
- To always look for an opportunity to serve others
Something I also learned is that what I do as a missionary is Invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel, through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. The two verbs that apply to me are "invite" and "help". Everything that I did these two years were directed to those two verbs. Invite others, and help others. I know that if we always apply those two verbs to our lives that we will always feel pure joy.
Honestly, what more can I say than that I know that God lives. These two years have been the most amazing years of my life with the most amazing experiences. If someone truly wants to know if God loves you, I promise you that He does. He loves us exactly for who we are, because we are His kids. I know that this is the true church and that Jesus Christ died for each and everyone of us. I also know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. Realmente les puedo testificar que Dios les ama y que no hay nada mejor que servirle a él! Espero que todos puedan sentir el amor que él les tiene.
I can sum up my last words in using the words of Ammon in the Book of Mormon:
3 Behold, I answer for you; fo r our brethren, the ( Campechanos and Yucatecos), were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss , but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the mar velous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath bee n bestowed upon us, that we ha ve been made instruments in th e hands of God to bring about this great work.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothi ng; as to my strength I am wea k; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold , many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for whi ch we will praise his name for ever.
I would also like to invite you to one of my homecoming talks this Sunday, July 23rd in the Frisco Legacy Building. Frisco 9th Ward: 9am or Frisco 6th Ward: 1pm. 10400 Legacy Drive, Frisco, TX.
I love each and everyone of you and I am so thankful for the support you have given me. May God bless you forever and ever!!
One last time,
Elder Plowman
No comments:
Post a Comment