Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Monday, November 14, 2016

LEARNING FROM PRESIDENTE RUIZ - NOVEMBER 7, 2016

Beautiful Mexico Sky
What a great week!!! This week was truly filled with so many experiences to grow and learn and I am so thankful for that! I had a special opportunity to be with President Ruíz more and I really got to learn from him and his example!! I will tell you all about it!

So last Monday I did a family home evening with a new convert family that is super great. They had always been asking me to teach them a hymn in English and I finally decided to dedicate a family night to that. I taught them Families Can Be Together Forever in English and I talked about how the words aren't what make us feel, but it is the spirit :) Even though they didn't understand a word we were singing, the spirit was so strong and I talked about how the gospel is about FEELING not knowing. It was a super cool experience for me. They said they felt the spirit stronger singing it in English than in Spanish. I shared with them my testimony about how the spirit works and it was a really neat experience :)

Elder Pinon
On Tuesday we did divisions with Elder Piñon! I went to his area for the day. Whenever I am with our district leaders I have learned so much. When I started out as a zone leader I always felt like I had to be someone different and put the example, but through 6 months as a zone leader I have learned that the best thing i can do in divisions is be myself! That is the best way I can teach them. He was really struggling in his area to find new investigators so I made it my goal to help him find new investigators and put baptismal dates and that is exactly what we did! I really enjoy being able to help my zone, especially the district leaders!

On Wednesday we had to go to the offices to get a flu shot... i know that is super random but I have never had the flu in my life so idk why i need the flu shot!! haha But while i was in the office President Ruíz called me in his office and we talked for a while about what we can do to help the Merida Stake and he asked us to prepare a 30 minute presentation about missionary work with the members! It was super good to talk to him and hear his ideas. 

On Wednesday we had a really amazing day. We have been trying super hard to have a ton of lessons with members and have more help from them. On Wednesday we had a whole day with members. In the morning we were with our ward mission leader, and in the afternoon we were with Pepe! We had 11 lessons with a member present in one day which was super cool! We were super excited to have so much help. Also on Thursday night we had the coolest experience ever. President Ruiz, my mission president, and his wife went to work with us! We went to a lesson with Jazmin, the atheist. It was the coolest experience ever to get to teach a lesson with them. His testimony is so powerful and he truly helped us with the situation. But wow. Then after wards we went to our house with them and they talked to us for like an hour and checked our house etc. It was super cool to get to learn so much from the way President Ruiz teaches with so much power: Definitely an experience I will never forget. I am thankful to have so many leaders to help me.
Presidente Ruiz in the house

On Friday we then had the leadership conference with President Ruiz so I got to hear from him again! I loved what he talked about. He talked about the vision of the Mexico Merida Mission and what we can do to be better missionaries. Tomorrow we will give the zone conference which I am super stoked about! Already the 7th one I am going to give!

Members from San Pedro Chimay
So in our area we have a small little pueblo like 10 mins away I have talked about called San Pedro Chimay. There are so many members there but almost no one goes to church because they don't have money to pay for the bus. So we did a small activity there Saturday night and it was great to see them all show up! I love being in small pueblos so much honestly. Whenever I go to the pueblo here it reminds me of all my other areas with the culture. The picture below is of us in San Pedro Chimay.

So you remember how I have talked about the habanero pepper being the staple food of Yucatan? Well i have certainly eaten a lot of it in my mission, but never as much as i ate on Saturday. For the first time in my mission, a member literally obligated me to eat the hottest part of the hottest habanero, and A LOT too. Literally the orange ones are hotter than the green ones... and he gave me the part where all the seeds are which makes it hotter. I ate so much and was dying. Literally the pain in my mouth, lips, nose, and eyes is indescribable. But what I can say is i survived... but it was not fun at all. I definitely will never think food is spicy when i get back to the states :)
One hot Pepper

Literally they are laughing at me dying of hotness


On Sunday we had 4 investigators in church! Wilberth, Jesus, Isis, and Cecilia!! Cecilia is the teenager and she is progressing super well. Also isis said she wants to start taking the discussions next week! WOOHOO! She has already been to church 4 times to she is certainly ready. We were a little sad that Pablo didn't go, but overall I am so happy with the work here. I know that it is improving so much. Then on Sunday night we had a mission training meeting with the whole stake and President Ruiz. This was where we gave our 30 minute presentation in front of the whole stake. It was a really great experience. I cant believe how much the mission has been preparing me to talk with big groups of people and also PREPARE well. I loved being able to support President Ruiz with that presentation and certainly I am learning so much. I love this work with all my heart and know that this is the true church. I loved this scripture in Luke that talks about how we must be converted every day. I must always find my testimony daily and keep growing. I know this is true and I love you all!
Wilbreth

Luke 9:23  23 ¶And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, andfollow me.

Elder Plowman 

No comments:

Post a Comment