Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

ONE YEAR AGO MISSION CALL - MARCH 14, 2016

Maria y Elder Plowman
So 1 year ago yesterday I opened my mission call. Yesterday I thought a ton about how much has changed in this last year, and how much I have grown as a person in my testimony and faith in my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. Honestly when I opened my mission call I had no idea what was actually gonna happen, But what I can say is that time literally flies so fast and I can't believe it has been a year already. And opening my mission call 1 year ago has changed my life more than anything. I am so happy to be serving the Lord!

Okay so anyways this was a super great week. I learned a ton this week. Let me just say quickly though that it is literally already summer here. I sweat every second of the day. Literally 2 minutes after I am done showering, i start sweating. When I am trying to sleep, I am sweating. This heat kills, and the scary part about it is that they say it is just starting. And that it is WAY hotter. Right now it is like 98 degrees, but in April, May, and June, it is like 113... oh boy.

The hotter it gets, the bigger the bugs

So I am gong to continue to give y'all updates about our wonderful investigator, Maria. On Friday, we went to her house, and she was super sad and we didn't know why. She told us her son yelled a ton at her when she got home from church last Sunday (2 Sundays ago) and yelled at her for making him food that was old. It made us so sad cause literally she tried making and giving him the only food she had and he didn't even appreciate it. And then he yelled at her and said that she can't go to our church anymore. So she said she was super sad and that she wants to keep going to church with us but she doesn't want to go if her son is going to yell at her. And she said her son was gonna come get her on Saturday and take her away so she can't go to church with us. So we prayed a ton about her and fasted for her on Friday and Saturday. And when we went to teach her on Saturday she was completely different and literally SO happy. She was joking around with us and said her son didn't come and when we were teaching her she was comprehending way more than she ever does. And so on Sunday when we went to her house, not only was she ready for church, she was sitting outside waiting for us to come. WOW, did it make us so happy. Usually we show up and she still has to get ready etc, but she was literally waiting for us. Then during church, we had a lady translate all the lessons in mayan so that Maria could understand everything better. And when we asked her when she wants to get baptized, she said this Saturday at 4pm, because at 5pm the water starts getting colder. :) My testimony on prayer and fasting grew big time with all the blessings we saw with Maria.

Also, Mariana and Alfredo have their baptism this Saturday, but they are feeling super nervous about it. When we asked them on Sunday at church how they feel, they said they are nervous and don't know. They then opened up to us that a little while ago they almost got divorced and really were looking for a new start, and they believe this baptism and this church can be that new start, they just have nerves. So we are going to pray and fast for them a ton too, and on Wednesday we have a lesson with them and we hope they will get baptized this saturday!

We also met a lady named Maria Lucia this week, who wants to get baptized in April!

Also, the 2 boys Mario and Luis who went to church 2 weeks ago... it is hard with them because their parents control everything. So the last two weeks they went out of town and couldn't go to church. The kids want to get baptized already but basically can't progress as much because their parents control it. And the same goes with our 2 other investigators Angel and Itzel. We are trying to help them progress more.

On Saturday night my companion and I prepared the most awesome Branch activity. We basically acted as if everyone was in an airplane and we served them peanuts and drinks etc but then the plane crashes and everyone goes to the spirit world, prison or paradise and we taught a ton of stuff through it and prepared it super well. We had sound effects and printed out tickets and everything!

So on Wednesday and Thursday we went to Campeche for 2 days for a training all day called 8 Principles. President Garcia told my companion and I like 5 times we are the Machines of Calkini, and that we are working so hard and he is proud of us. Then he called us up in front of everyone and told us that we are working as if there were 4 missionaries in our area, and used us as an example for like 30 minutes to teach everyone how to work as hard as we do. Then he told my companion and I that he is going leave us together for our whole missions because of how hard we work.... so we have transfers in 1 week and if president stays true to my word I will still be with Elder Escobar in Calkini haha. But honestly I learned so many things in this training!

On Wednesday night I worked in divisions in Campeche with a view of the ocean the whole night. This area is literally on the edge of a huge hill and you have to walk straight up a ton of stairs and basically i got super tired in that area hahaha.

But when we traveled back to Calikini, there was a HUGE thunderstorm, like it totally reminded me of Texas thunderstorms, and i was praying the whole way home to not die haha.

Also last week I sent a picture of clarinet kids. This week I went and talked to the teacher and asked if one day i can stop by and play clarinet for them. I haven't played in 8 months and totally miss it.... the plan is to play for them, wow them, and baptize them all! Haha.

Well this was a super great week. I really hope in 1 week i can write that we had success with our baptisms that are coming up! I love you guys so much and I miss you but wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Remember to read the scriptures, pray, and keep the sabbath day holy. Did you guys know, if every single person in the world kept the sabbath day holy, there wouldnt be hunger in the world?

I love you! 

Elder Plowman

Photos with maria. We have to help her to walk.
Elder Escobar, Maria and Elder Plowman

Maria

Sunrise in Campeche

No comments:

Post a Comment