Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Called to Serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Called to serve for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - August 2015-August 2017

Friday, September 18, 2015

TEACHING AND TEMPLES - SEPTEMBER 17, 2015


Mexico City LDS Temple Visitor Center

It is so great to be able to write to all of you guys today! I love all of you so much!  

So this week was by far the best week in the CCM, and a unique one to say the least! This week was special for a couple different reasons: This past weekend was focused on the Mexico City Temple Rededication, which was amazing. This Tuesday was independence day in Mexico. And this morning we were able to go to the temple and do a session in Spanish, which was such an amazing blessing in my life. 

So this past week was focused a lot on learning Spanish, teaching lessons, and learning more Spanish! We have been teaching a LOT and I have been feeling a lot more comfortable with the Spanish. We are still teaching the same investigators as last time, but this week has had a new twist. We have had the chance to be investigators ourselves and take the role of someone struggling back home. Through doing this we are more able to understand what people are going through and what they need to hear from us. It is such a blessing to do this. Through this we teach alone and then switch and act as the investigator. It is weird teaching without my companion honestly, but it helps me to rely even more on the Lord and I have to know all the things to say! But through the strength of the Spirit I can do all things. 

On Saturday we had the opportunity to watch the cultural presentation that the members here in Mexico City put together for the rededication of the temple. It was so humbling to see so many members love the temple so much, and even though the presentation was in Spanish and I only understood like half of it, it was still so amazing and humbling. Then, on Sunday, we were able to watch the rededication of the temple. I think this Sunday was the best day of my mission so far. I was relaxed but also felt the spirit stronger than ever in my life. We had a district testimony meeting following the rededication, and it was the most amazing hour here so far. We all were crying knowing that this is so true, and as I bore my testimony I never felt so strong in my life that this is true, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. 

So this Tuesday was independence day in Mexico. Lets just say, it was CRAZY! I mean you think we take July 4th seriously... this was above all. The fireworks were going all night long non stop, and when i say all night i mean all night, and when i say non stop i literally mean non stop. Never a second without a huge BOOM! The funny thing is, all the teachers said they were all fireworks, but all we heard were big booms followed by no sign of fireworks... my deductive reasoning would tell me that these were all gun shots and dynamite! But hey.... whatever makes them feel better! 

So a few more random things about this week!

So every day I wear a white shirt, and literally every single day I spill something on it at lunch or dinner. I mean if any of you know me, you know I have had a long history of spilling. I thought as I got older it would go away but nope! I mean seriously it is embarrassing! I do my best though! Through the Lord I can do all things.... 

This week in the choir we sang Señor, Te Necesito and it was so awesome! Also last week we sang the EFY Medley, literally my favorite church song of all. I have found so much joy in singing as a missionary. My district all the time chooses different hymns and we sing them in 4 part harmony during our free time. It brings me so much joy! I usually sing the tenor part, sometimes bass, and it makes me so happy. The spirit I feel while I sing just testifies to me so much of what the hymn is trying to say! Also, it helps me feel like I am at home again a little bit because of how much music has influenced my life. 

So this week something hit me big time. The very first thing in the Book of Mormon are the words of the prophet Nephi, and he says "I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents..." so the absolute first words of the Book of Mormon is the prophet of the Lord recognizing that he has been born of good parents. This made me ponder so much! I just have to say how lucky I am to have been born of good parents, in this life we are truly nothing without our family and our parents. God´s plan focuses on the family and He gives us parents who love us because HE loves us. I just want to thank my parents for all they have done for me, because without them I would not be here. What can you thank your parents for?

Another thought. We are so lucky to have our savior and redeemer Jesus Christ. In life when things get hard, we can not let ourselves forget the true purpose. We MUST take a few steps towards the Garden of Gethsemane and The Hill Calvary. Jesus took ALL the steps for us, but we mus take just a few to know what He truly did for us. I just want all of you to ponder about that. That when life gets hard, we are simply only taking a few of the steps Jesus went through for us. Knowing this gives me so much comfort when life gets hard as a missionary, but truly we are so loved and we will be able to get through it, just as Jesus did. 

So this week has had a twist... a couple nights I have gone to what we call a Tie Draft. As a missionary, the only thing we can change from day to day is pretty much our tie. So like 30 Elders all bring a tie and you draw names and whenever yours is drawn you get to pick a tie! The thing is.... my mom is awesome and made sure all the ties I brought were awesome, so I only participated once because I only had 1 tie I was willing to give up, and sure enough, it was the first one to be chosen! The tie I got was really lame haha, but next tie draft I can get rid of it! It is a big cycle, but missionaries can have fun too! Like for instance, in the picture attached below, I became best friends with like all the latinos. They left on Monday (a new set is here already) and we all took the sickest picture on Sunday night! I just want you to all see that we all have fun together, it is not all hard! It is all WORTH IT! I take back everything I said about Latinos! I love them! I mean sure they still smell up the place but its worth it haha, gotta love it.

I only have about 10 days left here at the CCM until I leave for Merida. I have learned to love this place, but I beyond all else can not wait to get out and serve the people of Merida! I find so much joy in serving the Lord, and the credit is all His. I love all of you. Yo se que este iglesia es verdad, y me trae mucho gozo! Te amo!

Elder Plowman 

My teacher that served his mission in Merida - The best!



The Selfie will never die





The CCM Dining Room - decorated for Independence Day




No comments:

Post a Comment